It's amazing what a year can bring! I was barely on the other side of surviving last year at this time and this was even before we entered full pandemic mode. Whew.
I sure as hell don't know everything but I feel confident that each year, I become a bit more certain of certain things.
As a celebrate my 34th birthday today, I invite you to also consider what things you know for sure. Oh and to also eat cake because dammit, why not!?
34 Things I Know For Sure
- Our thinking creates our reality.
- We are one thought away from a new reality.
- We aren't meant to do most things alone (though time alone is essential).
- A pandemic will quickly get your priorities straight.
- Moving one's body will release pent up energy and anxiety.
- Hugs. Our souls need them and I can't wait to safely hug good people again.
- If you're not getting called out and challenged, you probably aren't fully engaged in anti-racist work if you're white.
- Have friends that can call you out, engage in conversation and still love each other through it all.
- Empathy is a superpower - embrace it, don't wish it away.
- Tell people "I love you" more, especially important people outside of your immediate family.
- Having kids is way more challenging and way more fun than you have any idea until you're in it.
- Play to your strengths and release your weaknesses.
- When you start taking 100% responsibility in ALL areas of your life, you get your power back.
- We (humans) are killing the earth. We need massive action NOW.
- Grow some of the food you eat - it's incredible to be involved in the process.
- When you show up to life as curious, life gets a lot more interesting.
- It's okay not to be okay.
- What you fuel your mind and body with, directly impacts how you function and feel.
- When anxiety starts creeping in, remember that an acorn doesn't worry about how it's going to turn into a tree. It surrenders and trusts in the perfect flow of life.
- Black lives matter. Brown lives matter. Indigenous/Native lives matter.
- Sunshine and clean water are essential for all living things. Prioritize them.
- Children are way smarter and way more observant than we often realize. Live by example and take responsibility when you mess up.
- Most of us have way too many possessions - we could all stand to be more conscious consumers.
- Priority ranking: Self > Marriage > Kids. In that order, everyone benefits.
- When you find your way back to your authentic self and start living true to you - life becomes effortless, easy and joyful.
- We won't be positive/upbeat/energy-filled every day. That's okay - that's part of the human condition.
- Speak openly about your needs and desires and support and love and everything. Say. It. OUT LOUD.
- Yes Means Yes. Still. Always.
- Happiness is an inside job.
- Show up. And respond to what shows up.
- Life should overwhelmingly be enjoyed sober AND every once in a while, it's fun to throw some alternatives in there.
- Create agreements in your marriage, together. Live from these - revisit and revise often.
- Find ways to have deep belly laughs as often as you can.
- We have what we need.
What do you know for sure? Any of mine you aren't so sure about?